Animal Cruelty & Fighting Investigations
All 50 states have animal cruelty laws. 43 states have laws that make the most egregious types of cruelty a felony offense, and dog fighting is a felony in all 50 states. Unfortunately, many cases each year go without convictions or receive disproportionately mild sentences. Animal cruelty and fighting cases are often at the low end of the totem pole for prosecutors, so it is up to animal cruelty investigators to ensure that every investigation be as solid as possible, in order to increase prosecutorial attention and achieve meaningful outcomes. Our instructors are well-seasoned, highly experienced, and dedicated individuals who will provide a wealth of information to help you win the war against animal cruelty and illegal animal fighting in your community.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the confidential nature of the material presented in the class, eligible attendees are law enforcement officers, prosecutors and judges, and animal control/humane investigators/veterinarians if employed or contracted with a government agency (Sheriff's Department, Police Department, Health Department., etc.)
Humane Society University is now offering this valuable training to law enforcement, criminal justice, and animal care and control professionals in order to strengthen animal cruelty and fighting convictions.
By the end of the workshop participants will have a practical knowledge of:
- Documenting an animal cruelty or fighting case
- Preparing search and arrest warrants
- Building the court case - pre-trial and testimony
- Working with your state laws
- Dealing with the media
Where: The location of onsite workshops will be determined by the host agency.
When: This is a one-day workshop held between the hours of:
8:30am to 5:00pm Check in begins at 8:00am
* Note: Participants will be given an hour for lunch
Registration & Fees
Cost Options: The Host Agency can choose from one of the three cost options, below. Rates are specific to each workshop topic and length of the workshop
- Hosting Agency Flat Rate/No Student Registration Fee: The Hosting Agency pays a flat rate to cover the cost of the workshop; individual students do not pay HSU. The cost of each workshop varies according to the requirements of each workshop and your location. For specifics, please inquire with email@example.com.
- Low Cost Student Registration Fee/Back-up Hosting Agency Matching: The student registration fee is set at a low rate determined by the hosting agency (i.e. $25). The hosting agency would match the difference between the low student rate and the normal registration fee. An invoice will be sent to the hosting agency following the completion of the class.
- Student Registration Fees only/No Hosting Flat Rate: HSU sets the registration fees based on our average class size of 35 students. Workshop fees vary in order to cover costs of instructor travel and materials. In general, our standard student rates are:
|Length of the Workshop||Individual Participant Fee||Host Agency Flat Fee|
Registration deadline is two weeks before the start date of the workshop.
Cancellation fee is 25% of the registration fee.
No refunds will be given after the two-week time period.
HSU reserves the right to cancel this workshop due to low enrollment or in the case of a major animal disaster response.
Recommendations for accommodations will be made by the host agency and will be posted on the specific webpage for each workshop.
All of our instructors are subject - matter experts with 10 or more years of experience in their field of instruction.
Workshop materials will be provided by HSU and sent to the host agency within 7-10 business days prior to the start of the workshop.