Director of Community Outreach
Essential Duties and Primary Job Purpose
Designs, develops and coordinates all short and long term advertising and marketing programs and oversees media relations for the organization. Generates communication materials including brochures, pamphlets, videos, newsletters, web pages and direct mail publications. Gives media interviews and community presentations to promote the organization's mission. Plans special programs and participates in community events to gain visibility for the organization.
Representative Tasks & Major Responsibilities
- Works with marketing specialists and advertising agencies to produce radio, television, outdoor and print advertising, which creates a positive public image for the organization. Develops, implements and updates short term and on-going advertising campaigns.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with local media staff to facilitate the promotion of facility services and mission. Responds to media requests, prepares press releases and serves as spokesperson for the organization.
- Plans and oversees special events and projects to attract the community and highlight facility programs and services.
- Is responsible for integrating photographs, graphic art, and copy into finished, appealing print materials. Reviews materials developed by other departments and suggests creative changes. Responsible for design aspects of newsletters. Writes all public service announcements.
- Prepares annual budget and administers and monitors department expenses in accordance with approved budget guidelines. Negotiates prices with vendors on supplies and services. Purchases space for radio, television, outdoor and print advertising. Seeks pro bono services and materials from new and existing businesses.
- Prepares operational reports as required. Maintains web site and responds to E mail inquiries
- Trains, directs and supervises department employees and volunteers in their responsibilities. Provides on-going support and performance evaluations. Advises facility staff to ensure professional editing, design and production of printed materials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and task satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Demonstrated PR knowledge to include knowledge and skill in marketing and advertising strategies, media operations, community events, benefits and functions, special event planning, creative writing and graphic design and print production.
- Skill in program management with the ability to function independently, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines. Ability to prepare department budgets and reports.
- Skill in building alliances with community organizations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with media, community agencies and businesses.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills to include public speaking, ability to effectively represent facility on live television and radio.