The following statistics were compiled from the American Pet Products Association (APPA) 2003-2004 National Pet Owners Survey.
- There are approximately 65 million owned dogs in the United States.
- Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households (or 40.6 million) own at least one dog.
- Most owners (65%) own one dog.
- Twenty-three percent of owners own two dogs.
- On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.6).
- Eighteen percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter.
- On average, dog owners spent $263 on veterinary related expenses in the past 12 months.
- There are approximately 77.6 million owned cats in the United States.
- Thirty-four percent of U.S. households (or 35.4 million) own at least one cat.
- One half of cat-owning households (51%) own one cat; the remaining own two or more.
- On average, owners have two cats (2.2).
- Sixteen percent of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter.
- Cat owners spent an average of $113 on veterinary related expenses in the past 12 months.
For additional information on pet ownership statistics, contact APPA